In each game, a team has its own formation (フォーメーション, fōmēshon). In the game, a formation can sometimes be gained when opening treasure chest's or when winning against another team.
List of Formations
-Note that the following descriptions are taken from the English release of the first game.
- Basic (ベーシック, Bēshikku) - Raimon's standard 4-4-2 formation.
- Death Zone (デスゾーン, Desu Zōn) - This is 5-3-2 formation is the key to Teikoku's control.
- Ghost Dance (ゴーストダンス, Gōsuto Dansu) - Occult's 4-5-1 is flawless in attack and defence.
- Wild Park (ワイルドパーク, Wairudo Pāku)) - Nose's attacking 3-4-3 also has a flat 3-man defence.
- Grid442 - Mikage Sennou's 4-4-2 is influenced by systematic coordination.
- Super☆5 (スーパー☆5, Sūpā Sutā 5) - Shuuyou Meito's formation resorts to a reckless 5-man frontline gimmick.
- Kakuyoku no Jin (かくよくのじん) - this 4-4-2 controls the sides like a ninja clings to walls.
- Mugen no Kabe (むげんのかべ, lit. Infinite Wall) - the farm's 4-3-2-1 is stable in defence.
- Mukata March (ムカタ・マーチ, Mukata Māchi) - a fast paced attacking 4-3-3 used by Kidokawa Seishuu.
- Heaven's Gate (ヘブンズゲート, Hebunzu Gēto) - the high level 4-4-2 used by Zeus that utilizes an individual's ability.
- Phalanx (ファランクス, Farankusu) - this 5-4-1 concentrates on the midfield and is great in defence.
- Butterfly (バタフライ, Batafurai) - by using an overlap, this 4-3-3 makes good use of the wings.
- Dot Prison (ドットプリズン, Dotto Purizun) - an irregular tactical formation.
- Bow & Arrow (ボー&アロー, Bō to Arō) - The attacking speed of this 4-3-2-1 will leave you quivering.
- Middle Block (ミドルブロック, Midoru Burokku) - this 3-2-2-1-2 is excellent for maintaining possession.
- Phoenix - (フェニックス, Fenikkusu) - this balanced 4-3-3 was hatched to have great shape and balance.
- Basic (ベーシック, Beshikku)
- Flat Back (フラットバック, Furatto Bakku)
- Attacker (アタッカー, Atakkā)
- Breakthrough (ブレイクスルー, Bureikusurū)
- Pressure (プレッシャー, Puresshā)
- Slash (スラッシュ, Surashu)
- Right Wing (ライトウイング, Raito Uingu
- Train (トレイン, Torein)
- Triangle (トライアングル, Toraiangeru)
- Lance (ランス, Ransu)
Inazuma Eleven 3
Inazuma Eleven GO
- Raimon - Raimon's 4-3-3 starting and balanced formation.
- Dark Knights - 4-3-3 formation used by Kuro no Kishidan.
- Basic - Eito's 4-4-2 formation that puts importance on stealing the ball.
- Milky Way - Tengawara's 3-4-3 formation that thickens the attack line.
- Omni - Mannouzaka's 4-3-3 formation that brings out every player's ability.
- Neo Death Zone - Teikoku's 4-3-3 formation that the playmaker holds the key to.
- Marine Snow - Kaiou's 3-5-2 formation that they use to attack from the sides.
- Moonlight - Gassan Kunimitsu's 4-2-1-3 formation that they use to tighten their defense.
- Softlime - Hakuren's 4-5-1 formation that they use to tightly defend and fiercely attack.
- Tiger Strike - Kidokawa Seishuu's 4-3-3 formation that they use to start a powerful attack.
- Phantom - Genei Gakuen's 4-3-3 formation that they use to attack from the middle.
- Neo Cloud - Arakumo Gakuen's 3-4-3 formation that puts importance on the center players.
- Sacred - Seidouzan's 2-3-5 formation that they use to mount an attack from the center.
- Thousand - Dragonlink's 2-4-4 formation that they use to intimidate others.
- Blue Reef - Aoba's 3-3-4 formation that they use to improve their attack.
- Kid's Heart - Inazuma KFC's 4-4-2 formation that is used to improve defense.
- Shining - Unlimited Shining's 3-2-3-2 formation that is well balanced.
- Ancient - Ancient Dark's 4-4-2 formation that is well balanced.
- Zero - Zero's 4-2-4 formation that puts importance on the abilities of all players.
- Albatross - Southern Claw's 2-6-2 formation that defends from the sides.
- Legacy - Northern Fang's 6-3-1 formation that is used to counter from the defense line.
- Resistance - Kakumei Senbatsu Team's 4-2-4 formation that puts importance on the attacking players.
Inazuma Eleven GO 2: Chrono Stone
- Alpha - Protocol Omega's 3-4-3 formation that focus's on the attack.
- Beta - Protocol Omega 2.0's 3-4-3 formation that focus's mostly in the center.
- Gamma - Protocol Omega 3.0's 1-6-3 formation that focus's mostly in the defensive side.
- Perfect - Perfect Cascade's 2-5-3 formation that focus's mostly in attacking the sides.